Please take a look at our web page to find out all about what we are up to in Year 2.
It will keep you updated with what we are learning about, events we have been involved in and upcoming information you might need.
Year 2 Class Newsletter
I hope you have all had a lovely summer holiday and are feeling refreshed ready for a new school year.The children have enjoyed their first few days in school and have all settled nicely into their new classroom and Year 2.
I am the full time class teacher and will be supported each day by my teaching assistant Mrs Wildman. On a Monday afternoon during my non-contact time, the children will be taught by Mrs Draper for PSHCE and Miss Connell for RE.
I hope you find this newsletter helpful in informing you of what your children will be learning about in the Autumn Term. Please speak to me if there are any problems or you have any concerns. I look forward to getting to know you as we go through the year.
In our English sessions on a Monday, the children will do their spelling lesson which will address the various different spelling patterns that Year 2 are required to learn. Following on from this they will bring home their spellings to learn.
In our other English sessions, we will start with the story The Lighthouse Keeper’s Lunch. We will use the story to explore different types of writing including instructions, diary/letter writing and have a go at writing an alternative version of the story.
This term in Maths the children will:
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (tens, ones)
- Be able to use a number line.
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; use <, > and = signs.
- Use place value and number facts to solve problems.
- Count in steps of 2, 3 and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward.
- Addition and subtraction
- Working with money
- Multiplication and Division
Our first topic this half term is ‘Seaside Holidays’.
- In the first half term in our science lessons the children will be looking at materials and their suitability for different things.
- In our art lessons the children will focus on painting and in particular using watercolours. We will practice different methods of applying the paint and work towards a final underwater seaside piece.
- In our History sessions the children will be making a comparison of seaside holidays now and a hundred years ago.
- In Geography sessions we will be finding out about human and physical features of the seaside, locating seaside places in the UK.
- In music the children will be focusing on a song ‘Hands, Feet, Heart’ where games, the dimensions of music (pulse, rhythm, pitch etc.), singing and playing instruments are all linked.
- In RE sessions the children will deliberate the questions ‘Who should you follow?’ and ‘Do religious symbols mean the same to everyone?’
- In PHSCE sessions the children will be identifying different emotions and how we deal with these.
- On the computers the children will be looking at how to stay safe on the computer and on the Internet. They will be developing their word processing skills and will practise typing, changing size of font and colour of font on 2simple software.
This term your child will be having PE on a Tuesday and Thursday. The children will get changed in school for PE on both days. PE uniform is red PE T-shirt, Black shorts and trainers. Black tracksuits can be worn in cooler weather but leggings are not allowed. One session will be games where the children will improve the ways they coordinate and control their bodies and equipment – playing games like stuck in the mud, practising catching and using a racket. The other session will be a dance/movement where the children will build a sequence of moves to create a seaside themed dance.
Autumn – Christmas cinema trip
Spring – Local study around Buckingham, Claydon House (approx £10)
Summer – KS1 school outing
Homework for Year 2 will consist of 3 short tasks. Mathletics tasks, reading and spelling practise (for reading and spelling see below). In the next week, your child will be issued with a username and password to access the Mathletics website. Each week they will be set 2 or 3 short tasks to complete which are directly linked to the work we are doing in class in maths. They can complete these tasks as many times as they wish to practise or to try and improve their score. Please let me know if you have issues with internet access and we can arrange for the children to complete their homework in school.
Your child will be given 5 -10 words each week to practise reading and writing. These are words that address the spelling requirements for Year 2. The spelling is about learning the rules not just the words.
Your child’s spellings will be checked once a week on a Monday and new spellings will be set the same day.
Please help your child to practise these daily. Please can your child’s spelling book stay in their book bag so they can practise their spellings in school as well.
Everyday in class the children will be reciting their times tables. In Year 2 they need to know their 2, 5 and 10 times tables. E.g. 1 x 2 = 2, 2 x 2 =4 etc. You may wish to practise these times tables with your child.
In Year 2 your child will bring home an individual reading book and a library book. They will have the opportunity to change their individual reading book as frequently as they need to. I have spoken to them about doing this first thing in the morning or during reading time, so if you can also remind them that it needs doing, that would be great. Library books will be changed weekly.
Your child will be heard reading once a week by an adult in school. They will read a guided reading book and discuss this with a small group. The adult reading with the group will make a note in your child’s reading record telling you about what we have focused on during the session. Please try to keep all reading books in your child’s book bag as the days they read and change their books may vary from week to week.
Please listen to your child read their books as often as possible as this is part of homework. It is amazing the difference it makes to their progress in reading when they read regularly.
The class has a page on the school website where you can find information about what we are doing in class and also links to websites that can support your child’s learning.
We are available in the morning for short messages such as if somebody else will be collecting your child.
If there is anything else you would like to discuss we are around after school.
Please email/call the office if there are any messages throughout the day. 01280 848306
Behaviour & Rewards
We expect the children to high standards of behaviour in school, following rules and upholding the values of the school. In Year 2 we have different rewards for the children to earn for their good behaviour, these are: House points, stickers and golden time. We have a Golden Time chart in the classroom. The children all start on the rainbow as this is where we expect them to be. If your child makes wrong decisions with their behaviour their name will be moved onto the sun as a reminder that they need to make better choices. If a further warning is necessary, they will move down the chart onto the cloud where they will then miss a minute of their playtime each time a further warning is needed to be given. Minutes lost will then come off their Golden Time on a Friday afternoon.
We are looking for some parents to come in and listen to readers each week. Also please let us know if you have any hidden talents which you can share with us, such as: cooking, art or maths.
Please send your child in each day with a named water bottle. This should only be filled with water for the classroom. They do not need to bring pencil cases. Please could they also bring a pair of wellies to wear on the field as we would like to continue using it for as long as possible. Please make sure all items of clothing are named.
Please could I ask you to support us in school by ensuring that your children do not bring toys, games or money into class unless they have been requested or are for a particular thing like ‘show and tell’ when they should be given to the teacher for safe keeping. We don’t want there to be disagreements or upset children because things are going missing or getting lost.
To see the class timetable click here
Year 2 Staff
Mrs Field – Class Teacher
Mrs Draper – PSHCE on Monday afternoons
Mrs Wildman – Class Teaching Assistant
Miss Connell – RE on Monday afternoons
Should you need to speak to Mrs Field, please contact the office to book an appointment or catch me in the morning to arrange a time.
16th October – Book Fair
25th October – Half Term
4th November – Back to school
11th November – Parents Evening 3.15-7pm
13th November – Parents Evening 3.15-5pm
15th November – Children in Need Day
4th December – Dress rehearsal
5th December – Play performances 2pm and 6pm
6th December – Christmas craft day
13th December – Last day for clubs this term
16th December – Cinema Trip
17th December – Christmas party
18th December – Carol Service 2pm
19th December – Wear your Christmas jumper and End of Term 1pm
INTERNET SAFETY (Digital Literacy).
Here are some top tips for safe Internet surfing!
- Always tell an adult if you are using the internet and what you are using it for.
- Never talk to anybody you don’t know.
- Don’t give out any information about you (name, age, address, school) even to people you know.
- If something pops up on screen, don’t close the screen and tell an adult.
- If you get a mean message or email, ignore it and tell an adult so they can delete it.
- Don’t go on to websites you are told not to.
The most important thing to remember is:
If something happens you don’t like or are not sure about, tell an adult!
You can also click on the links below to find out more or report websites that you are worried about.
LINKS TO GAMES WHICH WILL SUPPORT YOUR LEARNING