Please take a look at our web page to find out all about what we are up to in Year 2.
It will keep you updated with what we are learning about, events we have been involved in and upcoming information you might need.
Year 2 Class Newsletter
We hope you have all had a lovely summer holiday and are feeling refreshed ready for a new school year.
The children have enjoyed their first few days in school and have all settled nicely into their new classroom and Year 2.
Mrs Field is the class teacher and will be supported by Mrs Draper and Mr Cassidy who are teaching assistants. On a Wednesday afternoon the children will have their RE/French lesson with Mrs Carr. Mr Cassidy will teach PE sessions on Monday and Wednesday afternoons.
We hope you find this newsletter helpful in informing you of what your children will be learning about in the Autumn Term.
In our English sessions on a Monday, the children will do a BIG WRITE task. We will be writing lots of different stories with a beginning, middle and end.
In our other English sessions, we will start with the story Scaredy Squirrel. We will use the story to explore different types of writing including instructions, letter writing and character descriptions and settings. We will work towards writing our own version of the story.
This term in Maths the children will:
- Read and write numbers to at least 100 in numerals and in words.
- Recognise the place value of each digit in a two-digit number (tens, ones)
- Be able to use a number line.
- Compare and order numbers from 0 up to 100; use <, > and = signs.
- Use place value and number facts to solve problems.
- Count in steps of 2, 3 and 5 from 0, and in tens from any number, forward and backward.
- Addition and subtraction
- Working with money
- Multiplication and Division
Our first topic this half term is ‘Seaside Holidays’.
- In the first half term in our science lessons the children will be looking at plants.
- In Autumn 2 the children are going to be learning words and phrases to greet each other in French.
- In our art lessons the children will do some observational drawing, practise colour mixing and create a multi-media seaside picture.
- In our History sessions the children will be making a comparison of seaside holidays now and a hundred years ago.
- In Geography sessions we will be finding out about human and physical features of the seaside, locating seaside places in the UK.
- In music the children will be singing songs about the seaside focusing on pitch, rhythm and pulse.
- In RE sessions the children will be learning about Christianity and Judaism and special things for those religions.
- In PHSCE sessions the children will be identifying different emotions and how we deal with these.
- On the computers the children will be looking at how to stay safe on the computer and on the Internet. They will be developing their word processing skills and will practise typing, changing size of font and colour of font on 2simple software.
This term your child will be having PE on a Monday and Wednesday. The children will get changed in school for PE on both days. PE uniform is red PE T-shirt, Black shorts and trainers. Black tracksuits can be worn in cooler weather but leggings are not allowed.
In our Games sessions the children will improve the ways they coordinate and control their bodies and equipment – playing games like stuck in the mud, practising catching and using a racket.
Autumn – Christmas cinema trip
Spring – Local study around Buckingham, Claydon House (approx £10)
Summer – Visit to the fire station
Your child will be given 5 -10 words at a time to practise reading and writing.
Your child’s spellings will be checked once a week on a Tuesday and new spellings will be set on a Wednesday.
Please help your child to practise these daily. Your child’s spelling book should stay in their book bag so they can practise their spellings in school as well.
Everyday in class the children will be reciting their times tables. In Year 2 they need to know their 2, 5 and 10 times tables. E.g. 1 x 2 = 2, 2 x 2 =4 etc. You may wish to practise these times tables with your child.
Remember to read the school’s weekly newsletter and check the school’s website regularly to find out what is happening in school.
We are available in the morning for short messages such as if somebody else will be collecting your child.
If there is anything else you would like to discuss we are around after school.
Please email/ call the office if there are any messages throughout the day. 01280 848306
Behaviour & Rewards
In Year 2 we have different rewards for the children to earn through good behaviour. In our class we have Golden Time on a weekly basis for the children who have earned it. The children all start on the sun each day; if they work really hard in class they can move onto the rainbow. If your child makes the wrong decisions with their behaviour after being given a warning they will move down the chart back onto the sun or onto clouds which would mean a loss of break time minutes. If your child ends the day on the rainbow on three or more occasions, then they will receive their Golden time on Friday.
We are looking for some parents to come in and listen to readers each week. Also please let us know if you have any hidden talents which you can share with us, such as: cooking, art or maths.
Please send your child in each day with a named water bottle. This should only be filled with water for the classroom. They do not need to bring pencil cases. Please make sure all items of clothing are named.
To see the class timetable click here
Year 2 Staff
Mrs Field – Class Teacher
Mrs Draper – Class Teaching Assistant
Mr Cassidy – Class Teaching Assistant
Mrs Carr – RE/French on Wednesday afternoons
Mr Cassidy – PE on Monday and Wednesday afternoons
Should you need to speak to Mrs Field, please contact the office to book an appointment or catch me in the morning to arrange a time.
6th September – Back to school
20th September – Meet the teacher 8.45am
4th October – Open Day
15th and 17th October – Parent’s Evening
19th October – Individual Photos
19th October – Half Term
5th December – KS1 performance – dress rehearsal 9.15am
6th December – KS1 performances 2pm and 6pm
14th December – Christmas party
17th December – whole school cinema trip
18th December – Carol Concert 2pm Gawcott Church
19th December – End of Term
It is really helpful if you let us know how the children are getting on with their reading at home. Please try to listen to them daily and make a comment, or on busier days please sign your child’s reading record to let us know that they have read their books at home. We will collect the children’s reading records in when they have Guided Reading each week, and award House points if they have read daily and it is written in their reading record book.
Spelling books will be given out on a Wednesday and checked on a Tuesday. Please help them to read the words and understand what they mean, and then practise spelling them. They could be practised by copying them out and then trying to write from memory, orally spelling them out loud or using the Look Cover Write Check method. You could stretch your child by asking them to put the words into a sentence and write it down.
Maths or English Task
Complete the weekly task of either English or Maths due in on Tuesday morning in their homework books (given out on a Thursday)
Your child will also have a ‘Big Talk’ homework this is to help them to prepare for a ‘Big Writing’ session on a Monday morning. Please discuss with your child what they will be writing about. You do not need to record anything for this homework (given out on a Thursday).
You may also wish to help your child with their 2, 5 and 10 timetables. We will be working on these everyday in class.
Please ensure your child has their spelling book and reading book in their book bag each day as they have the chance to practise them in school.
INTERNET SAFETY (Digital Literacy).
Here are some top tips for safe Internet surfing!
- Always tell an adult if you are using the internet and what you are using it for.
- Never talk to anybody you don’t know.
- Don’t give out any information about you (name, age, address, school) even to people you know.
- If something pops up on screen, don’t close the screen and tell an adult.
- If you get a mean message or email, ignore it and tell an adult so they can delete it.
- Don’t go on to websites you are told not to.
The most important thing to remember is:
If something happens you don’t like or are not sure about, tell an adult!
You can also click on the links below to find out more or report websites that you are worried about.
LINKS TO GAMES WHICH WILL SUPPORT YOUR LEARNING